Wednesday, March 14, 2007

March Break

What a shock when I arrived to work on Monday. I knew to expect some students for the break, but there must have been 50 or 60 of 'em! Or so it seemed. Well, at least 35. Most are local 8th and 9th grade students, some with no previous experience. .
Since November, there hasn't been more than 20 people at the farm, not including sales and office staff.

We have already finished a lot of different things, from tagging in the nursery, to planting in the Big House. We finished as many tags as we had, our new tags will be coming in soon. My knees feel like I borrowed them from an 80 year old. All tagging is done on the ground. All day Monday and Tuesday. Fortunately, we may step on the pots, as all the plants are dormant right now, and the soil is frozen so we won't do much crushing with our feet.
The propagation crew is busy with transplanting, although I am not entirely sure what is all on their agenda. My own work keeps me running as it is, and I can't see getting too much valuable information from any of the kids. I'll learn more of the prop end after the majority of the shipping is finished. Probably in September!

On Thursday our first four Amigos arrive to our farm, with the option to start work right away, or get all settled in during the weekend. If I know any of them from last year, they will jump right in. The next group is to arrive the following week.

They have bumped our hours from 8:00-4:00 Mon-Thurs, 8:00 - 12:00 Fri during the winter, to 8:00-4:30 this week, and next week 8:00-5:00. Slowly but surely, the spring rush is upon us. It won't be long before we will be working 7:30- the last truck is loaded.(could be midnight)

I'm not sure how often I will be able to post, but you can rest assured I will keep updating as the farm lets me. I plan on posting "staged" pictures, to show the nursery throughout the year. This should be fun!!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger