Friday, June 15, 2007

Driver Sales

I guess you do learn something new every day. Today I learned that in our area of Niagara region, nurseries are starting to try out "driver sales". This whole idea is not new to me, I used to do driver sales into New York State. Namely Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse. The idea behind it is simple. Load your truck full with flowers (or perennials) and drive from door to door and sell your plants. I have experience with cut flower sales, not potted perennials. Today our company is getting ready to try this out. We are trying to do the "buy this whole cart of plants and receive a discount" approach. On my end in the nursery, I had to help set up the whole cart display. I was given some plant suggestions to pull from the nursery, but the final say was mine. I could change to whatever plant I thought would be the nicest. We brought some patio planters over from the main farm as well, but most of the product was our own 2 gallon and 1 gallon plants. Tomorrow morning, 2 co-workers and myself have to finish it up. Tagging and such is all that needs to be done. The straight truck that we have can fit 14 carts. Each cart has 2 layers of one gallon 6-packs, (8 six packs per layer = 42 pots) and either 2 layers of patio pots, or 1 layer of 2 gallon plants.After all is said and done, I have to admit the carts look great. Not only my own opinion, but co-workers as well. We will see on Monday how the first run works out, and if it's all good, we keep on doing it!!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger